The mild flavor of blackberries sings in perfect harmony when paired with mozzarella, parmesan, and ricotta cheeses. Green onion and fresh basil add interest to this unusual savory pizza. The soft, baked berries act as both the sauce and and as a topping, and their hint of sweetness combined with the salty and creamy cheeses and tangy green onions creates a memorable, delicious flavor. This simple pizza recipe results in complicated flavor using healthy, fresh ingredients.
Have I mentioned that we have a new baby? A new, very cute baby who turned life, including dinnertime, upside down?
I have to say, I was stuck in a deep rut before I made this pizza. Every meal was about what made me think the least. My creativity was nonexistent. I was in pure survival mode.
That is what life with a newborn does to you. You live completely in the moment. You walk around constantly looking like you’re in shock or in the middle of some sort of trauma.
Parenting is wonderfully rewarding, but it’s completely exhausting.
In the midst of newborn craziness, I saw this pizza on Pinterest, and I couldn’t get it out of my head. I couldn’t quite inagine what it would taste like. Was it sweet? Was it savory? Was it creamy? I HAD TO MAKE IT.
It literally took weeks before I managed to accomplish my goal. So worth the wait! It’s mostly cheese and blackberry, so there is really no going wrong! A hint of sweetness, like pineapple or sweetened tomato sauce, combined with traditional white pie toppings. All flavors I love on a pizza!
The ricotta was honestly my favorite part. And the berries. And the onion. Ok, all of it.
After having my life dictated by an infant, this pizza just felt like the most adult-like thing I had done in a long time. And it only took less than 10 minutes to toss together.
-your favorite pizza crust (I cheated and used a store bought crust because, well, remember how I mentioned that new baby earlier?)
-1 tbsp olive oil
-1 C fresh blackberries, divided
-1 C shredded parmesan
-1 C mozzarella cheese
-1/4 C chopped green onion
-2 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Drizzle olive oil over your pizza crust and spread evenly using a brush or the back of a spoon.
- Use a fork to mash up 1/2 C blackberries. Spread evenly over the crust. (This is the pizza sauce.) Top evenly with the parmesan and the mozzarella cheeses.
- Use a spoon to generously dollop on the ricotta cheese over the top. (And my mouth is watering again. This was my favorite part!)
- Sprinkle on remaining whole blackberries, green onions, and basil.
- Bake 8-10 minutes or until the cheese begins to brown.
- Serve immediately.